Monday, November 16, 2009

San Antonio Rock & Roll - Been There, Done That

First - my favorite t-shirt quote: "My strategy, start off slow, then pull back". That's about what I did - finishing the half marathon in 2:45 - miserably slow, but I remind myself that I finished. I was truly done at mile 10 - but my music pulled me thru. Fuel's song "Shimmer" told me - "all that she intends, all she keeps inside isn't on the label." That one and a few others gave me the fuel to finish. I have to credit CrossFit for shining thru. I did very little running to prep for this race, and certainly didn't help myself thru nutrition, but I consistenly attended boot camp - and I'm sure that it was a driving factor in helping me accomplish my second half marathon. Austin's on my next agenda...

Second - I'm extremely proud of my man who finished the race in great time - 3:44. His goal was Boston qualifying time of 3:20 - but it was not to be his day - nor one for his running group who had all trained extremely hard toward this very goal. They all finished, but they all missed Boston time, and one ended up in the ER (but she's ok). Again, it was a hot and humid day, and I saw a few while at the finish like waiting for Don who had to be either carried across, or carried off just moments from crossing. Heart wrenching. The human spirit - never ceases to amaze me.

My gal pals who ran - Mary C and Mary Z - both ran the marathon and Kelly and myself who took on the half. Kudos over to Mary Z who ran in 4:11 and Kelly at 2:15. Amazing and completely jealous of them both. I gotta love Mary C.'s attitude - she loved running past all the landmarks including the missions - and I think she even stopped to look around a bit, not at all concerned with with time, but focused on enjoying the ride. I'm jealous of that relaxed outlook, one that Christopher McDougall would tell you is the key to running - enjoy the ride (and maybe throw your shoes off while you are at it).














Don, and his running buddy Jason, both celebrate their fourth marathon - they ran Austin together twice, Don has run NY and Jason San Antonio... Don, I love you and I'm so proud of you.