Wednesday, November 11, 2009

I'm in for Half, My Better Half is in for the Full

Yes, I know. I've not posted any new news in almost a month. Well, had not too much to say other than I've been a slug and not at all in the zone. But I have been to boot camp, made rock-star appearances at the Tuesday gym class with Carey, and I have gotten some runs in now and again. Good thing, cause it's the 5 day count down to the Rock & Roll San Antonio race.

For me, the half. For my better half, the full. There's quite a difference in our mind sets. I sometimes wear my Garmin to figure out how far or fast I went (or slow is a better word), or to track my pace by sattelite (surely, this is frying my brain). I'm not following the detailed outline of a training plan that Kelly gave me. Don on the other hand has trained relentlessly, never missing a scheduled run, changed to eating vegan, consistent massage and therapy and calculating all things - down to the number of ounces of water in his average sip and the number of calories to a gummi bear.

His plan for the run is written down, mile by mile. I'm planning to show up. Yes, I live with an engineer - everthing can be labeled and put it it's proper place. (Side note - Must see the sitcom - Big Bang Theory - freaking hilarious). All things can be planned and calculated.

So... another difference is I have a general goal to finish the race and his goal is to qualify for Boston with a 3:20:59 max time.

Wish us good luck - along with Don's running group, Mary Z., Mary C., who will run the full and Kelly, Jeff, Tricia, Libby and several others who take on the half.