Sunday, April 5, 2009

Zooma - Pride, Pain and Heartbreak

The Zooma half-marathon is over. It's behind me -- I'm thankful and full of pride that I finished - by my Garmin - 2:18:45 - by Zooma 2:20:20. Yes, numbers matter - especially to this gal who could not have run a mile 2 years ago. There was pain during and after the race, and now a day has passed and the pain turned into soreness - advil is my friend. Bless my family for letting me rest and recover.

I'm thankful to my friend Mary, who ran along beside me - she has several marathons under her belt - so I'm sure she could have smoked me - but she stayed close as I watched her yellow hat bounce before me - constantly tempting me to keep up.

I'm heartbroken for the Wilkinson family. At 2am the day of the race, my training partner, friend and motivator - Kelly (aka bad mamma jamma) got a message her mother in law had passed away, very unexpectedly that evening. We threw everything into her suitcase as she sped out in the morning darkness to be with her family. I cried for her, for her family, for her husband who lost his mother. I teared up at the starting gun and cried like a baby as I crossed the line, knowing she was not there to greet me. Pray for the Wilkinson family as they cope with this loss, their heartbreak and ultimate sorrow.